Oregon Right To Food/Hunt
REMEMBER: These Talking Points When You Submit Comments
- Oregon residents have long had a strong interest in sourcing their own foods, including wild and foraged foods.
- Self-reliant sourcing of wild foods is an integral part of Oregon’s heritage.
- Current initiatives are seeking to prohibit Oregonian’s ability to provide for their family in the manner they choose, seeking to strip away the self-sufficiency Oregonians have to source their food in a natural and healthy manner.
- Over the course of the last three years, we have seen the tenuousness of the national food network; we have only to look at the current rising price of eggs to underscore the necessity to afford Oregonian’s the constitutionally protected right to feed their families through fishing, hunting, harvesting and gathering of wild and foraged foods.
- Currently, 23 states have passed a constitutional protection for the right to fish and hunt.
What HJR 5 Does:
- Ensures that current and future generations of Oregonians have the ability to fish, hunt, harvest, and gather to sustain themselves and their families.
- Protects Oregonians from an outright ban on the ability to fish, hunt, harvest and gather.
- Protects Oregonians ability to self-sufficiently provide for their families
- Allows for the reasonable regulation of these activities through the Legislative Assembly, citizens of the State, and state agencies.
What HJR 5 Does Not Do:
- HJR 5 does not alter the wildlife conservation and management goals and priorities of the Oregon Department of Fish & Wildlife. The 23 states that have a similar resolution show no change in the conservation priorities of their state fish & wildlife agencies.
- HJR 5 does not endanger private, or public, property rights; the resolution cannot be used to trespass.
- HJR 5 does not promote nor condone poaching or illegal harvest of plants or animals.
When giving giving comment always remember to:
- Relate personal stories with passion.
- Always be respectful and civil.
- Clearly articulate exactly what you would like decision makers to do.
- Thank them for their time and service.